This crafty article is written by Alicia E, with inspiration from this post.
Now that we’re into fall, it’s about time to get festive. One of the best ways to do that during these times is to make your very own and easy-to-make Chunky Knit Blanket!
A November How-To: Make a Chunky Knit Blanket
- Chunky Yarn
- Tie a tight knot at the end of your yarn. Just a simple, regular knot. This knot is here so that in the next step, your slipknot does not fall apart.
- Make a slipknot. To do this you will cross over the piece of yarn that has the knot on top of the working yarn (the yarn attached to the yarn ball) so that it is a loop. Hold the yarn tail (the end with the knot) and pull the working yarn through the loop. Tighten it a lot and your slip knot should look like this:
- Next, I will walk you through the process of making a 16 stitch chain. What you will first do is create a loop in your working yarn and pull working yarn through this loop and tighten it. Repeat this process until you can count 16 chains (each V looking stitch is 1 chain) It should look like this when you are done:
- Next, you will be creating a braided bottom. To do this you will take the loop at the end of your 16 stitch chain and point the top of the loop upwards so that the loop is vertical. Look closely at your chain and you should be able to see a small bit of yarn connecting each chain weaving in and out of the bottom of your chain. You are going to take your loop and thread it through the hole in between the yarn connecting each chain. Do this until you have come to the end of your chain. It should look like this:
- Now, take the first loop and pull it through the one next to it. Repeat this step for as many rows long you want the blanket to be.
- Weave the ends of yarns into the blanket to make it look finished.
- Finally, take the first two loops from the end of your blanket and make a loop with the yarn and pull it through the two loops making a chain stitch. Then repeat this pulling a loop into two loops. When you reached the end of the row MAKE A VERY TIGHT KNOT. Weave the access yarn that you cut into the blanket and voila! Enjoy :].